Dating to 1922 – at the time, this was one of the biggest and most widely advertised attractions in Lake Arrowhead. Located on the south side of the lake and east of the Village.
Lake Arrowhead Orchestra
Originally a band of students from Whittier College. They played during the summer and recorded a set of songs played at the Pavilion or Casino – the only building remaining from the original “Village”.
Golf Course at
Lake Arrowhead Lodge
This is perhaps one of the earliest views of golf being played in the San Bernardino mountains. This image is from the early 1920’s and today this is the Lake Arrowhead Country Club located in Grass Valley.
Lake Arrowhead Village – 1924
The ‘Village’ opened on June 24, 1922. In 1921 the Arrowhead Reservoir and Power Company, that had lost a long and ugly battle over water rights, sold the lake and surrounding property to a syndicate called the ‘Arrowhead Lake Company’. The new owners were primarily interested in the property and lake for recreation.
Lake Arrowhead near the Village
The boathouse and early bathing cove. Today this is the site of retail stores and the ski school, at the end of the point. The Lake Arrowhead tour boat shown was know as the ‘Blue Jay’.
The dam – Little Bear Lake
(Lake Arrowhead) – circa 1905
The dam construction began in 1901. The ‘Arrowhead Reservoir Company’ founded in 1890 had visions of creating a great reservoir to provide water to San Bernardino residents on the south side of the mountains. Nearly 30 years later, this vision evaporated.
The Village – circa 1930
The ‘Arrowhead Lake Company’, after acquiring the lake and surrounding property, in 1921, began a $8,000,000 improvement program. Included was a Norman English style village, depicted here. The original village was intentionally burned in the 1970’s and replaced by the current ‘Village’ – with only the Casino remaining.
North Shore Tavern
Originally known as the ‘Clubhouse’, built in 1921, to house workers during the construction of the Village. Re-named the North Shore Tavern in the late 1920’s. Now the UCLA Conference Center.